The End of a Decade

As long as I’ve worked in graphic design, I’ve also worked in retail… as a means of supporting myself as a starving artist. Thankfully design and visual merchandising fall hand in hand. In many aspects visual merchandising is like being the human version of the mouse, pushing around racks and mannequins to create the perfect layout and visual flow.

However, like many retail “lifers”, when I was first recruited into the field, I did not have long term plans of working in retail for more than a few years. But like many things you find out late in life, things don’t always go as planned, and sometimes that’s a really good thing. After working in store for over 5 years, executing store sets, setting promotions, and restocking season after season, I was given an amazing opportunity to take on a corporate position. This just happened to fall in line with my decision to leave the in house design position I was currently working. 

Within a month I was set up with a beautiful new mac, a corporate account, and all the devices needed to do design remotely… yes I got to work from home. And best of all I was set up to work directly with the Field Visual Director at Ann Inc. one of the best bosses I’ve ever had. Like many jobs, there were bumps and bruises in the beginning, but once the ball got rolling, http://premier-pharmacy.com/product-category/gastrointestinal/ this really was a dream job for me. I was able to do design 70% and do visual merchandising the other 30%. Along with this, there was travel,  new store openings, and corporate meetings to plan and attend. Now you might think that after practically being handed a position like this, you’d stay here for the rest of your life. If I was 10 years younger, single, and dedicated to being a workaholic, then maybe yeah I would have held on longer… but for me, at this time in my life, I have other plans. 

After 3 years working and developing this role, I finally reached my 10 year anniversary with the company. Talk about an amazing opportunity. But for me, this is a turning point, a time to move onto something else. My husband and I worked endlessly to figure out what the next phase of life should be, and it is at this time, I have decided I wanted to move to Korea, back to my homeland. I think that somehow hitting my 10 year anniversary, is enough for me in this moment. Is this a decision I’ll regret for the rest of my life? I don’t think so, because I feel so incredibly blessed to have even received the opportunity to explore this part of my career. So for now, its goodbye and on to other things and great adventures ahead! 

Say What?